I wanted to approach this as a more formal classic portrait shoot with the subject looking directly at the camera - away from my most common style of candid close-up shots but I could have explored more options and alternatives as well.
Areas for improvement:
- Plan better - visualise the end results
- Be more flexible during the shoot - should have moved the sitter out of the sun
- Try more angles and poses - don't be afraid to change subject's position and be more experimental
- Give the sitter more direction and reassurance
- As my style in portraits is usually very close up, I need to practise with full figure poses to create drama/narrative
All in all, I am pleased with some of final images. The model likes them - says he wishes he was this good looking in real life - and I have had positive feedback from other viewers.